Monday, February 28, 2011

The Modern "Church"

"Let the Glory of YOUR name be the Passion of the Church"- Chris Tomlin

The modern church... what is it?

I know first hand that the "church" isn't always what is should be. I work for a Church in Raleigh, NC. Our church has had its fair share of problems, the financial crisis has hit us hard, there has been some "unrest" among some members, which led to a tense environment. The pastor left, the search for a new pastor took more than a year, and to top if off, the interim pastor started a church as we hired our new pastor. Lots of mayhem. First, some people didn't like how long it took to find the pastor, or didn't agree with the people who were selecting the searchers, so they left. Then, alot of people didn't like the fact that another church was being started, and that some members were leaving for it.

So here is where I am-- I work for the church. my parents left for the new church... yea, awkward.

This has caused arguments between families, has made families split between two churches, and has set two bodies of Christ against each other...

So this is what I think. You should never be looked down upon for leaving a church. You have every right to go to the service at any church that fulfills your needs spiritually. You have the right to attend a youth group, or to volunteer at any church that needs your help. You have the right to attend small group at any church that helps you grow in your faith. AND, it doesn't matter if they are all the same church, or different churches. The key is that all churches focus on CHRIST, not on themselves, and that they exist for one thing and one thing alone- to help people find and grow closer to God.

I desperately want to see this, not just in my church and the churches around me, but in all churches. I pray that every church would exist for the glory of God and the glory of God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment